Sunday, August 9, 2009

Super Smoothies for Runners and Endurance Athletes




Calories, calories, calories! It's hard to keep up sometimes without submitting to junk food that doesn't really offer any nutritional value. Over the last few years I have been experimenting with many different smoothie concoctions and I have found that it is a necessary component to maintain my health. It also just makes it so much easier than having to cook all of the time!

I came across a great recipe that is super nutritious that can serve as a breakfast before or after an ultra long run!...Check it!

2 cups 100% pure juice (not from concentrate)
2 cups frozen berries (mix it up...I like blueberries and strawberries)
1 cup Soy yogurt
1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 banana
1/4 cup of ground flax seeds
1 scoop of hemp protein or Vega (about 20 grams)

Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until everything is broken down. This shake will leave you feeling energized...for a little while anyway! ;0) Let me know some of your favorites or if this works one works out for you!

Another product that just made our life that much easier is the Vita Mix blender (<--click on text)...OMG! This is by far the greatest blender/food processor/ machine I have ever seen! Aside from your normal smoothies and fruit/veggie juices you can also make hummus, nut butters, sauces...the list goes on an on....Unbelievable!


Expensive but definitely worth the money! If you're into making smoothies and can afford this high powered quality product you won't be disappointed. It even comes with a DVD with instructions on how to make certain things. Yeah! I've used it every day since we ripped it out of the box four days ago!

It also helped fuel me through this last week of relatively high mileage in checking out new trails in the beautiful state of Oregon.

Wednesday Erica dropped me off at the very end of the Wildwood Loop and I ran 26 miles on the main trail all the way back towards home.

The next day I headed out to Mt. Hood and ran 24 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail which is also a section of the inaugural 100 in the Hood Ultra coming up in late Sept.

Well that's enough out of me for now. It's too nice of a day to be in here on my laptop so I'm heading outside...but I'm sure I'll be back later to re-fuel with some good healthy ingredients in our new Vita-mix! Ciao!



1 comment:

TonyP said...

Now you have got me hungry !