Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back to the Trails


We had a pretty nasty winter here in central NY and I was even lucky enough to escape for a few weeks. In the four plus years I have been here I think this year logged the coldest temperatures. I must say that I think it is....(I'm not gonna say it and jinx us!!)...we'll just say it is subsiding.

It is so nice to be back to running in the forest as well. I was able to get on the Cayuga Trail this week, which is close to my house and snakes and winds all over this area. I also did a 21 mile long run on the soft South Hill Rec way trail in shorts and a tee shirt on Saturday and everyone was in such a great mood as the sun shined down.

Running high mileage on the roads over the last several weeks caused my body to get a little beat up. I listened though, backed off, and could definitely feel the difference this week as I bagged probably half of my miles on the soft and soggy trails.

This morning I was asked to be a "model" for Dominique as she taught prospective students in her Thai Massage workshop. So from like 10am to 12:30pm I got some free body work done which was much needed. Thai massage is something that runners can benefit from so much. She was using her feet to get into my hamstrings and doing some crazy stretches for my very tight IT Band and loosening up my hips, etc. It was so relieving!

I have started my taper for H.A.T. Run 50K in less than two weeks but still had a very solid week.

Miles for the week: 75

Monday= Rest
Tuesday= Easy 5 miles on treadmill at SUNY Cortland
Wednesday= 6 miles in morning behind airport and back; 6 miles in evening down Sapsucker Woods and back
Thursday= 13 miles on Cayuga and Pink trails with Warren Rd. add-on
Friday= 6 miles in morning (Speed workout 1.5 mile warm up; 3 miles @ 5:58/mi.; 1.5 mile cool-down); 5 miles in evening on Black Diamond Trail with Max
Saturday= 21 miles on South Hill Rec-way Trail with Karen G., Brian T., Tim I., Joe D., Dave J., Shelly M., Marnie, and a few others
Sunday= 13 miles on Skunk Cabbage half marathon course (11 miles @ 6:25 pace); two mile cool down

Spring break could not have come at a better time for me. I am happy to get caught up and relax a little and just not have to run from one thing to the next...at least for the next few days. I will be babysitting my adorable nieces on Wednesday and heading to Boston on Thursday for the weekend as Erica has a work related function and I will be visiting a good friend. I am a little sad that I won't be competing in The Boston Marathon this spring but...oh well...can't do it all...even though I try!

Quote of the week: "In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help to train us in perseverance. Long distance running is particularly good training in perseverance."---Mao Tse Tung, essay, 1918

1 comment:

TonyP said...

Wasn't it awesome out this weekend. Funny...I love looking at your weekend runs....I did 21+ on Saturday and 15+ on Sunday (pretty much as you did), but boy is your pace sick ! See you soon.