Sunday, March 1, 2009

USA 50K Championships

In hindsight I kind of wish I listened to ultra runner amigo Todd Baum when he suggested a few months back that I go down to Caumsett Park for the U.S.A.T.F. 50K Championships in Lloyd Harbor, NY scheduled for March 1, 2009. I guess it just wasn't in the cards for me this year. I hope everyone had a good time down there today even if the weather was not ideal. We look forward to hearing more of the details soon.

Also, nice work to many of the members of TEAM Inov-8 in various races this weekend...check out the team blog (on the right-->) to read more about their fine performances.


Instead of racing against some of the best ultra runners in the northeast I decided to catch up on some sleep and course work (not at the same time as pictured above;0). I took it back a few notches this past week as far as training goes...just listening to the body and trying to stay healthy. However, I did add up the mileage for the month of February and I ran a whopping 365 miles for this short month!


Miles for the week= 50

So last night I googled "How to cook steel cut oats" and came across a great recipe...CLICK HERE that cooks slowly while you sleep. We woke up this morning to a warm, nutritious, and very tasty breakfast. I love the idea of rolling out of bed to already prepared yummy food. It's really easy and I definitely recommend it but, if I could change one thing, I would spray the crock pot with an olive oil type spray or PAM or something to prevent some major sticking to the sides. Other than maybe 10% lost to a crust on the walls of the crock pot we enjoyed a delicious meal, we have leftovers, and I know this is going to become a regular in our home...especially on early race mornings! Try it out and let me know how it works for you!

Ahhhh March is here which means in 20 days or less spring officially starts. I know that many people are ready for the change in the season and my tired body is ready for some reprieve of pounding the pavement. I actually had a dream the other night that I was running on some wild, technical trail really fast....man it was fun!


Not a whole lot to report this weekend...It was kind of weird not running but my body definitely needed a rest. Looking forward to getting back out there soon though! Have a great week everyone!!

Quote of the week: "During the hard training phase never be afraid to take a day off. If your legs are feeling unduly stiff and sore, REST; if you are at all sluggish, REST; in fact, if in doubt, REST."-------Bruce Fordyce

1 comment:

TonyP said...

It would have been great to see you at Caumsett. Next year ! See you soon.