Monday, September 15, 2008

Getting Closer

OK... so the butterflies are officially fluttering in my stomach and we're still five days out. I'm realizing the amount of planning that goes into these types of events. Not only do I have to be prepared for what I will need to complete 100 miles but also what I "might" need if or when something goes "wrong". I must say that it has been nice not running as much this week even though I caught a little bit of a cold. I was reading that this is common when endurance athletes go into a taper. It's almost like tricking your body and it kind of lets it's guard down. Thankfully it's on it's way out and I should be good to go for the weekend. Also, the weather forecast is looking near perfect for the ultra event...let's hope it stays that way.

Miles for the week: 30

Monday= rest
Tuesday= 6.5 miles with Finger Lakes Running Company crew up Remington through Cayuga Heights and back down to store
Wednesday=3.5 miles power hiking over Greek Peak with Ian scouting out the first leg of the course
Thursday=6 miles out around SUNY Cortland
Friday= 6 mile night run w/ headlamp from downtown up Remington to apt. on Warren Rd. (12:30 am - 1:30 am)
Saturday= 8 miles on Cayuga and Pink trails
Sunday= no running/ 17 miles on bike-- biked downtown from apt. then was lead biker for Ithaca 10-mile race

This week is still going to involve some logistical organization with Erica (my main crew person), family, and pacers (Michael W. and Jamal). Other than a little nasal congestion my body is feeling in tip top shape. I watched a great movie last night recommended to watch before this ultra event by my brother called "Touching The Void". It involved a couple of climbers and the near death mishaps in the high peaks of Peru and how their courage to never give up allowed them to finish their mission. It was quite inspiring before embarking on this treacherous goal I have set out to do.

We're still accepting donations for Lupus Runners and I really want to thank everyone who has helped. www.firstgiving.com/lupusrunners

Quote of the week: "Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'."-- Paul Tergat

1 comment:

Brian Thomas said...

Good luck--I'll be sending positive vibes your way race day!

Hey, that was a really good newspaper article about you too!