Sunday, February 1, 2009

Jack Daniels

And No!...not the Tennessee whiskey in a square bottle with a black label that causes you to lose inhibitions, slur, and forget things...we're talking about the legend that used to coach at the university I am currently attending.

Jack Daniels
was a professor of physical education and cross-country coach at State University of New York at Cortland . He received his doctoral degree in exercise physiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Named “The World’s Best Coach” by Runners World magazine, he led Cortland runners to eight NCAA Division III National Championships, 31 individual national titles, and more than 130 All-America awards.

He is famous for writing Daniels' Running Formula, a 1998 book detailing his unique training philosophies. Dr. Daniels resides in Flagstaff, Arizona where he mentors and coaches some of America's top distance runners.

It's so cool to be in some of the same classes that he used to teach and hear the professors talk about Jack this, and Jack that. There is even a famous area (that I run at often) dubbed "Jack's mile". Besides the cross-country and track team members I am probably one of the few people that are always asking questions about what he used to do, and how he did it, etc. etc.

Even though I am training for different distances I tend to lean towards a lot of his philosophies and have found them quite helpful. I have another friend that used his build up to a 100-mile week training guide for a 5K last summer and it also served him well. It still gets me though when out on campus and somebody comes into a conversation half way through and can't figure what the hell we're talking about...running or booze!

I had another feel good week as far as running goes. I dropped back a bit and let my body recover and did a little cross-training.

Miles for the week: 65

Monday: Rest/ hot tub and steam room
Tuesday: Speed workout at SUNY Cortland track-- 3 X (800, 600, 400, 200) at 5:30/mi. pace--45 second rest in between intervals---2 min. rest between sets. Nice day and was lucky to have two lanes clear on track.
Wednesday: unexpected day off...major snow and ice storm and other obligation
Thursday: 12 mile snowshoe run in Hammond Hill w/ Eric M., Matt A., Scottie J., Joel C., Boris D., Earl S., Eric S.---very tough workout--snow shoe running is fun but difficult-good strength builder
Friday: 8.5 miles on Warren, Asbury, Farrell loop in morning; 5.5 miles in evening around Cass Park with Kandace's dog Max.
Saturday: 6 miles in morning with Jeff D., Derrick C., and Jason C. from Finger Lakes Running Company around Stewart Park, Cayuga Heights, and back to store; 8 miles in evening running Warren Rd. to Benson and back
Sunday: 16 miles from apt. w/ Brian T. to Wildflower to meet ITC crew to run around Ellis Hollow and bike path--great to see everyone!

Okay...drop back week is over....vacation is long gone...It's time to get down to business! Buckle up because we're gearing up for another full power year!

I got a couple race applications going yesterday, taxes done, and picked out some new shoes from Inov-8. Getting ready to roll!

It's Super Bowl time!

Quote of the week: "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." -- Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC marathon winner

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sport of running Track and Cross Country was my life when I was a kid. I ran for the love of it with a passion that ran deep in my soul. I was recruited by Jack Daniels to run for SUNY Cortland in the early 90's. Although I felt he was exceptionally knowledgeable and ran an outstanding program, I could not get past his arrogance and lack of concern for the athletes he coached. The most salient memory I have of him was during my first week at school where I showed up for practice and he pulled out a set of calipers. Jack openly measured all the athletes and told everyone how much weight we needed to lose. Being only 17 years old and coming from a very modest background, I really had no idea how to lose 8 pounds in a matter of weeks without starving myself. I was 5'2" and 110 lbs. I rarely ate junk food. When I asked how I should lose the weight, Jack just said I would figure it out on my own. I realized at that moment he didn't care about me; it appeared Jack was only concerned with the success I had the potential of bringing to the team. Initially I didn't let it deter me as I continued to show up for practice, but the constant back-stabbing and over-looked promiscuity among the male and female teammates was more than I was prepared to handle at such a young age. It took Jack two weeks to figure out I left the program before he called me. Clearly upset by my decision, but not really interested in why I quit, he told me not to go near the track during hours of practice. I don't think Jack could have possibly appreciated how heavily I contemplated the decision before I made it, nor the disappointment I felt after walking away from something that meant so much to me. I had been competing in Track and Cross Country every week since I was 11 years old, but Jack's attitude was the overbearing reason behind my decision for leaving the sport. As it turned out, the team had an incredible record during all the years I attending SUNY Cortland, so Jack didn't need me. But it is a tremendous shame that his attitude contributed to the end of a competitive era for someone who ran simply for the love of it. Nevertheless, I am still proud of the team for its many years of success, and have to hand it to Jack; in spite of his attitude, he knows the sport of running and has proven it, time and time again. I'm not bitter with you Jack, just very disappointed that you couldn't look beyond the glory of winning and focus on the spirit of the athlete instead. Regardless, congradulations for your successes over the years.