Sunday, February 8, 2009

Punxsutawney Phil's Prediction


According to Punxsutawney Phil and the foolish tradition that continues in rural Pennsylvania every year we are going to see a few more weeks of winter here in the northeast. I missed Bill Murray this year in one of my favorite movies of all time: Groundhog Day. I read some of the cold hard facts about this strange holiday and the little marmot has only been correct about 50% of the time! Might as well just flip a coin eh?! No I guess that wouldn't be as fun.

I'm getting antsy as far as the racing goes especially after seeing results from Rocky Raccoon 50 and 100 mile races this weekend in Huntsville, Texas. Fellow Inov-8 team member AJW took first in the 100 and Kevin Sullivan flew threw 50 miles for the win in that race...killer times guys!

I am heading up to Albany in a couple weeks to visit a friend and run a winter marathon as an up-tempo training run. It should get me back into that racing mode and the event is always known for unpredictable weather.

After this morning's run my confidence has shot up as far as my fitness and training goes.

Miles for the week: 86

Monday---> Rest; easy 6 miles down Warren Rd. and back
Tuesday---> Speed workout= 9 miles total (7 X 1000m @ 5:40/mi. pace) on back roads of Cortland with 1-minute of recovery in between intervals
Wednesday---> lifted weights in morning at Island Health Club; 6 miles in evening with Kandace's dog Max plus add-on in Cass Park
Thursday---> 11 miles running to Etna and back
Friday---> 7 miles in morning running Warren Rd. to Benson and back; 7 miles in evening with Max and Black Diamond Trail add-on
Saturday---> 16 miles up Connecticut Hill with Finger Lakes Trail add-on with Michael W., and Nancy K. What a beautiful run! and great workout
Sunday---> 24 miles running from my apt. to Flat Rocks to meet Michael W., Boris D., Mark T., Maureen D., Jeff D. for the infamous Triple Hump route--- Thanks for a fantastic run y'all!

I was very satisfied with my month of January making the transition from tropical climate to sub-zero temperatures and starting a pretty demanding semester. I ended up with 294 miles for the month with all runs done outside. I'm bumping the mileage up even more over the next few weeks pending no major discomfort and really raring to go for 2009.

Quote of the week: "Most men take the straight and narrow. A few take the road less traveled. I chose to cut through the woods."---Unknown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear all is well!

Olga said...

Love the quote:)