Sunday, November 9, 2008

Mendon Ponds 50K

Time is flying! and the year is quickly coming to an end. We have been blessed with some nice weather for early November in central New York but realize that it's coming soon. Time to break out the tights, gloves, masks and wool socks.



Miles for the week: 63


Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 8 miles around SUNY Cortland campus
Wednesday: 9 miles total: 6 X 800 @ 5:03/mi. pace in Cass Park with Nate S., Nate L. and Quinn T. with 5K warm-up and cool-down, jogging and recovering for 1:45 in between repeats

Thursday: 6 miles down Warren Rd. behind airport and back
Friday: easy 4 miles on Tri-for-the Y course
Saturday: 31.5 miles in beautiful Mendon Ponds Park near Rochester, NY
Sunday: easy 4.5 mile shake out run


I made a surprise visit to The Mendon Ponds 50K on Saturday to hopefully wrap up The Western New York Ultra Runner Of The Year Award. I also had a great week leading up to it and felt that taking the time off when I was sick actually benefited me by letting my body rejuvenate and repair. I had an epic 50K and was extremely proud of myself for the way that I ran. I started off fast, settled in to a nice groove and then exploded over the last 20K to break the course record by about 40 seconds. It was a 10K loop run five times which is something I have never experienced before but it was different in that it gave me an opportunity to guage my split times and access my bag/gear etc. if need be (which I did need!).



Lap 1--> 47:07...I built a nice lead

Lap 2--> 46:16...I continued at a fast pace and got stared down by a big 8-point buck in the middle of the woods. I yelled for him to stop looking at me so mean and he reluctantly walked away. I saw him again about 20 minutes later with a couple doe as the course snaked around the forest.

Lap 3--> 49:34...The 10K and 20K runners quickly joined me and it was great to finally have some company. I chatted with Ted T. briefly and then Hugh A. for the rest of the loop which really helped me out by slowing me down a little and breaking up the race. Thanks guys!

Lap 4-->48:03...I pushed hard on this loop knowing that I had a shot at the course record. I was amazed on how strong I felt after 20 something miles.

Lap 5-- 47:47... I dug deeper than I have in a long time and really pushed myself in this race against the ticker. I entered the field where I could see the finish line in the distance. I looked down at my watch and new I had it if I hustled. What a great feeling! I came flying down the hill to the finish capturing the course record by about 40 seconds!



Maybe I was inspired by the whole Obama message of hope and me saying to myself periodically throughout the race, "Yes I can!"



Next up....the last race of the year... The Philadelphia Marathon.


Quote of the week: "Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about." -PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

No comments: